Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Increasing Awareness

If you've been reading my blog then you already know I am currently battling Papillary Thyroid Cancer, even though the Dr's assure me they got all the cancer during my surgery, I still consider this a battle, as I still have my treatments to go.


In an effort to increase awareness about the #1 Cancer in the US I am including some information for you, my friends & family, who like me, probably never even gave Thyroid Cancer a 2nd thought! I would not wish going through this on anyone!
  • Thyroid cancer is the most common endocrine cancer. Thyroid cancer is a cancerous tumor or growth located within the thyroid gland.
  • Thyroid cancer is one of the few cancers that has increased in incidence rates over the past several years. There are expected to be 11% more new cases in 2008 than in 2007 in the United States.
  • The American Cancer Society estimates that there will be about 37,340 new cases of thyroid cancer in the U.S. in 2008. Of these new cases, about 28,410 will occur in women and about 8,930 will occur in men. About 1,590 people (910 women and 680 men) will die of thyroid cancer in 2008.
  • Many patients, especially in the early stages of thyroid cancer, do not experience symptoms. However, as the cancer develops, symptoms can include a lump or nodule in the front of the neck, hoarseness or difficulty speaking, swollen lymph nodes, difficulty swallowing or breathing, and pain in the throat or neck.
  • There are several types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, anaplastic, and variants.
  • Papillary and follicular thyroid carcinomas are referred to as well-differentiated thyroid cancer and account for 80–90% of all thyroid cancers. Variants include tall cell, insular, columnar, and Hurthle cell. Their treatment and management are similar. If detected early, most papillary and follicular thyroid cancer can be treated successfully.

  • 80% of all Thyroid Cancer cases occur in women under the age of 40

If you would like to learn more about Thyroid Cancer and what you can do to help, please log on to http://www.thyca.org/

My advice to everyone is pay attention to your body, if you don't feel something is right, see your doctor! Be honest and let them know what's going on! Had I not insisted that something was wrong, I wouldn't have known about the cancer!

Love to all,

Anna


2 comments:

Anne said...

Great post- I've been meaning to do a little research. I hope you are feeling a little better everyday- I know how recovery can wear you out. You are in my prayers, and again- let us know if we can help you in anyway!

The Saras Family said...

thats great! thank you for sharing. I too need to get my thyroid checked since my mom had it.
how are you feeling today. I read Monday wasn't that great.